Polymateria’s revolutionary Biotransformation technology is a new approach to ensuring that plastic which has escaped refuse streams can fully biodegrade in the natural environment.
Our scientists have created a proprietary formulation for plastics that makes it possible.
How it's deployed
- Formulated as a drop-in Masterbatch.
- Each Masterbatch is tailored to the resin’s footprint, application profile and required use life.
- Fully compatible with the normal plastic conversion processes.
- Typical loading rate: 2% weight percentage (wt%).
How it works
Giving recycling every chance to happen and maintaining full shelf lives during the life of the packaging, our proprietary formulation lies dormant – users wouldn’t even know it’s there (the way it should be).
In line with the agreed timing, the formulation gets to work by triggering a catalytic process that actively targets the crystalline regions within polymer chains to radically cleave them apart.
With a reduction in length of the carbon chains, nature is able to reengage with the product as it is handed back its ability to decompose within the environment via nature’s four agents of decay – light, air, moisture and microbes.
Our technology results in absolutely no microplastics whatsoever. All that’s left is carbon dioxide, water and microbes (biomass).
No microplastic left behind
Through the process of Biotransformation we can show full biodegradation after 168 days for a Polypropylene Container and Polyethylene Lid – this is how we avoid the creation of microplastics.
- Patented proprietary technology (5 patents).
- “Catalytic process” that chemically transforms the polymer chains into biocompatible oligomers.
- Builds on the synergism of all relevant agent of decay (air, moisture, light, heat) to efficiently breakdown the polymer chains.
- Innovative use of prebiotic activators to draw in and stimulate microorganism activities at an early stage.
- Allows time-controlled onset of degradation.
- Bespoke solutions tailored to client’s product profile, application and service life.
- Over 90% biodegradation rate achieved.
- No potential harm to the environment across the entire process.
Want to find out more?
Dr Christopher Wallis
Chris leads Polymateria’s Innovations team in the designing, development and testing of biotransforming plastics, in addition to supervising our network of collaborative R&D partners and working with standards bodies.
+44 (0)20 8811 6736
Interested in seeing the proof points behind our technology?Visit our customer portal